Marker location: FM 950 Row, 1/2 mile SW of Matthews, (marker is on south side of road)
Marker erected: 1981.
This burial ground served the relatives of pioneer settlers James S. Montgomery (1788-1864), a veteran of the War of 1812, and George W. Thatcher (1808-1867). Their families fled the area during the "Runaway Scrape," an evacuation caused by the advancing Mexican forces following the 1836 fall of the Alamo. Returning here after the Texas Revolution, both men became successful planters. Montgomery later represented the county in the Republic of Texas Congress, 1843-44. The first burial at this site was probably that of his son James (1834-36).
HISTORICAL MARKER OKD FOR MONTGOMERY-THATCHER CEMETERY NEAR MATTHEWS
The Montgomery-Thatcher Cemetery Association has been notified that the Texas Historical Commission has approved their application for a Historical Marking the site of the Montgomery-Thatcher Cemetery.
The Association, in conjunction with the Colorado County Historical Commission, will have a dedication ceremony June 27, 1981 at 2:00 p.m. at the site of the cemetery.
The cemetery is located on Farm to Market Road 950, a half mile southwest of Matthews.
The cemetery is a burial grounds of early Texas settlers, the James S. Montgomery and George W. Thatcher families. They came to this land in February of 1836. The families were successful planters. James S. Montgomery represented the County in the Republic of Texas Congress 1843-1844. George W. Thatcher was named the 1st Postmaster when the first Post Office was created in Eagle Lake on June 19, 1849.
Eagle Lake Headlight
Historical Marker Unveiled
The new Historical Marker on Farm to Market 950, a half mile south of Matthews, for the Montgomery-Thatcher Cemetery was dedicaed in a ceremony at the site of the plaque at 2 p.m. last Saturday. Participating in the ceremony officially dedicating the marker were, left to right, Colorado County Judge Lester J. Cranek; Ms. James G. Hopkins of Grwood and Columbus, chairman of the Colorado County Historical Commission; Mrs. Julian B. Cox of Houston, the former Dorothy Elkins, who presented a history of the cemetery; Mrs. Josephine Vollentine of San Antonio, the oldes living descendant of the Montgomery-Thatcher families who had the honor of unveiling the marker; and the Rev. George Welsch, rector of Christ Episcopal Church of Eagle Lake, who gave the invocation and benediction.
Eagle Lake Headlight
MONTGOMERY-THATCHER CEME. MARKER DEDICATED LAST SAT.
The dedication of the Official Marker for the Montgomery-Thatcher Cemetery was held at 2:00 p.m. last Saturday on Farm to Market Road 950, a half mile south of Matthews and near the historic cemetery site.
Mrs. James G. Hopkins, chairman of the Colorado County Historical Commission opened the program and introduced the participants on the program. She noted that is was an honor indeed to mark another of the many historical areas of this county under a program sponsored y the State of Texas and the Countys Historical Commission.
The Rev. George Welsch, pastor of the Christ Episcopal Church of Eagle Lake, offered the invocation. After which Mrs. Hopkins welcomed all to the memorable event.
Colorado County Judge Lester J. Cranek spoke briefly noting that it is right that due recognition be given to the historical areas and to the people who were the pioneers of this county.
Mrs. Julian B. Cox of Houston, the former Dorothy Elkins, secretary of the Montgomery-Thatcher Family Association presented a history of the cemetery and noted incidents of importance relating to family members who are buried in the cemetery. Among those buried in the cemetery are James S. Montgomery, a veteran of the War of 1812 and George W. Thatcher who was the first Postmaster for Eagle Lakes first Post Office when it was founded on June 19, 1849.
Mr. Montgomery and Thatcher families were successful planters in the area for many years.
The marker was unveiled by Mrs. Josephine Vollentine of San Antonio, formerly Josephine Thatcher, the oldest living descendant of the families. Inscribed on the marker are the following words: This burial ground served the relatives of the pioneer settlers James S. Montgomery (1788-1864), a veteran of the War of 1812 and George W. Thatcher (1808-1867). Their families fled the area during the Runaway Scrape, an evacuation caused by the advancing Mexican forces following the 1836 fall of the Alamo. Returning here after the Texas Revolution both men became successful planters. Montgomery later represented the county in the Republic of Texas Congress, 1843-44. The first burial at this site was probably that of his son James (1834-36)
After closing remarks by Mrs. Hopkins, the impressive program closed with the Benediction by The Rev. Mr. Welsch and the singing of Texas, our Texas led by the Rev. Mr. Welsch.
After the Benediction ceremony the group moved to the cemetery site, several hundred yards southeast of the marker, where family members are buried in a mott[sic] of trees. After inspection of the historical grave sites, refreshments of punch and cookies were served during a period of visitation and reminiscing of the days when those buried in the cemetery were prominent in activities of the community, county and state.
Eagle Lake Headlight July 2, 1981, page 12
Do you have pictures or information about historical markers you would like to share?