|The following articles were published in a book called Memorial and Genealogical Records of Texas, Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago, 1894.
HENRY BOEDEKER. To successfully fill the office of County Treasurer it is absolutely necessary that a man should possess certain requirements, the most important of which are honesty, accuracy and reliability, and these are found in ample measure in Henry Boedeker, who is the efficient Treasurer of Colorado County, Texas. He is a product of that country that has given to the United States some of her most progressive and reliable citizens-Germany-and there he first saw the light of day August 4, 1830. His father, Frederick Boedeker, who was an official in the employ of the German government, died in 1892, at the extreme old age of ninety-three years, and his principles and views were quite democratic. He insisted on five of his sons coming to America, for which country he had a deep admiration, and gave as his reasons that they would find good homes, with less labor, than in the old country, and free institutions. Four of these sons are now living, and are well-to-do citizens of the Lone Star State, which proves the wisdom of their father's views. August is a wealthy citizen of Milan County, Texas; Otto resides in Burleson County, Theodore in Washington County, and Henry in Colorado County. The latter received good educational advantages in his native land, and, like all German youths, learned a trade, his being the harness and saddle maker's business. August had been a resident of the United States for some time when he, in 1852, was followed to this country by Henry, Otto and Theodore, who reached this country after a nine-weeks ocean voyage, landing at Galveston. As Otto and Theodore had but little means, they worked their passage to this country, and even then, upon their arrival in Galveston, their means were very limited. They went to Houston, where they were met by their brother August, with several ox teams and some ponies, and they at once entered upon an active and industrious life. Very soon, however, Henry came to Columbus and opened a harness and saddle shop, and during the war was detailed by the Confederate Government to make harness and saddles for the army, and was thus employed until the war closed. His intelligence, and interest in the progress and development of Colorado County led to his election to the office of County Treasurer in 1876, and this office he has filled by re-election ever since, which is an eloquent tribute to his intellect and ability to discharge the responsible duties of this office. He, for some time past, has had no opposition for the office, for it seems to be well understood that no more efficient official could be secured. During these long eighteen years he has continued his business until 1880, since which time he has given his entire attention to his official duties, and other interests which are quite extensive and valuable. Mr. Boedeker is a free hearted, jovial and witty German-American, who numbers his friends by the score and who has the unbounded confidence of, and is popular with, all classes. In 1882 he visited the home of his boyhood, in company with his son Charles, and viewed the scenes of earlier days with much interest. He was married to Louisa Thulemeyer, a native of Germany, who is now deceased. She bore him five children: William H., a successful business man of Laredo, Texas; Charles, who is a railroad agent on the Southern Pacific, with headquarters at Eagle Lake, Texas; Lena, who is the wife of Robert E. Farmer, Deputy County Clerk of Colorado County. These are the living members of the family. In 1876 Mr. Boedeker was a second time married, Mrs. Mary Thulemeyer becoming his wife. Mr. Boedeker is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is Past Grand of Columbus Lodge, No. 51, and is also a member of the Encampment.
JAQUELIN SMITH BRUCE, M.D. This successful medicine man of Colorado County, Texas, has practiced the art of healing the sick since 1859, during which long term of years he has met with a more than average degree of success, and his name is a familiar household word throughout this section. He was born in Winchester, Va., in 1836, his father being John Bruce, who was born in Perth, Scotland. He was finely educated and was a graduate of the College of St. Andrews. When a young man of nineteen he came to the United States and located in Virginia, and for many years thereafter was engaged in teaching in Winchester Academy, Va. During the latter part of his life he devoted his attention to farming, and was following this occupation at the time of his death, which occurred in 1857, at the age of sixty years. He was married to Miss Sidney Smith, whose people came to this country from England, and by her reared four sons, of whom the subject of this sketch is the youngest; Edward is a portrait painter and magazine writer of Winchester, Texas; George is a physician at Moundsville, West Va., and Douglas is a farmer of Clarke County, Va. The mother of these children is dead. Dr. Jaquelin S. Bruce was educated in Winchester Academy and at the University of Virginia, after which he commenced fitting himself for the practice of medicine at Winchester, Va., and in 1857 graduated as an M. D. from this institution. His alma mater was destroyed by fire during the war. He at once commenced practicing his profession in Stafford County, Va., but in 1859 came to Texas and located on the west side of the Colorado River, in this county, in the vicinity of Eagle Lake. In the spring of 1862 he became a recruit in Hood's Brigade, Company B, Fifth Texas Infantry, and remained with that regiment until after the second battle of Manasses, when he was appointed Assistant Surgeon in the Forty-seventh Virginia Infantry, Richmond Medical Department, and held this position until the close of the war. He was wounded at the battle of Manassas, was at Seven Pines, Gaines Mill, Malvern Hill, Second Manassas, besides participating in other bloody battles in Maryland and Virginia, and in numerous skirmishes. He surrendered at Appomattox at once returned home and embarked in the cotton business, but after a time gave up that occupation and resumed his medical practice, to which his attention has since been devoted. In 1866 he was married to Miss Minna Rivers, a daughter of Jones Rivers, and was called upon to mourn her death in 1869. She became the mother of one child, who is now the wife of J. J. Mansfield, County Attorney of Colorado County. In 1872 the doctor married Miss Susie Rivers, a sister of his former wife, and they have two children: Jennie and Jaqueline, both at home. The doctor and his wife are members of the Episcopal Church, and he is a member of the Blue Lodge of the A. F. & A. M. at Eagle Lake. The doctor was in the mercantile busibess for a few years with L. B. Lake, but of late years has been in the drug business.
CAPTAIN WILLIAM DUNOVANT. This gentleman has long been successfully engaged in sugar and cotton planting, and has also been a prosperous general merchant at Eagle Lake. He was born in Chester District, S. C., March 20, 1844, a son of A. Q. and Mary (Lowry) Dunovant, natives of Chester and York Districts, S. C., respectively. The father was a planter and merchant, and was active in politics, and for some time was a Member of the State Legislature and a member of the convention that voted for secession. During the great Civil War he was a member of Governor McGraw's staff. He died November 6, 1868, at the age of fifty-three years, and his widow in 1875, when fifty-one years old. They were members of the Episcopal Church, and he was a Democrat of pronounced type in his political views, and was a member of the I. 0. 0. F. The paternal grandfather, John Dunovant, was a member of the State Senate of South Carolina, and other members of the family were also prominent, R. G. Dunovant being Inspector-general of the State of South Carolina at the time it seceded from the Union, and was in command of Fort Moultrie when it was bombarded by the Federals. Capt. William Dunovant was one of a family of nine children, four of whom reached maturity, and he is the only son who is living at the present time. He spent his school days at Mount Zion College in Chester District, and at Winnsboro, in Fairfield District. He left school at the age of sixteen, but was quite well advanced in the higher branches and the classics. In December, after the State had seceded from the Union, he joined the Seventeenth South Carolina Infantry, commanded by ex-Governor Means, and was a member of Company F, in the Seventeenth, until the close of the war. After a time he was promoted to the rank of Captain of the Flag Company, which he commanded until the participating in the second battle of Bull Run. When Grant attempted to blow up Petersburg, Capt. Dunovant lost his right arm, and although he was in the battles of Kingston, N. C., Jackson, Miss., and others, he missed several battles in which his command took part, owing to the fact that he had been wounded on two different occasions. In August, 1865, he came via New York to Texas and located near Eagle Lake, in Colorado County. At that time he was a comparatively poor man, and in debt, but he bought land on credit and commenced raising cotton. The land was a very productive tract, on the bend of Old Caney, and he accordingly prospered. He now owns 1,000 acres of valuable land in the Lone Star State, and up to the present time he has been engaged in planting, stock-raising and merchandising, and has followed each successfully. The captain has never married, but two of his sisters live with and keep house for him. When he first embarked on the mercantile sea, J. A. Harbert was his partner, and continued so to be for a number of years, but he is now alone. He raises annually about 1,500 bales of cotton, and is now the only sugar planter on Caney, and will this year probably make a large amount of sugar. He has recently built a sugar house, and has it well fitted up to successfully carry on this work. He has always been too busy as a business man to accept honors at the hands of his friends, although be has always been an active and faithful Democrat.
JUDGE WILLIAM S. DELANY. Generally age and experience are essentials to success in whatever branch of human endeavor a man may see fit to devote his life, and it is an indisputable fact that public men seldom rise to distinction suddenly. In the example before us we have a man who without any special fortuitous circumstances, rose by his own force of character, energy and good judgment, to the position of Judge of the Commission of Appeals of the State of Texas. He was born in Union County, Kentucky, September 18, 1825, to Henry F. Delany, who was a native of Virginia, and was taken to Kentucky by his parents, and after residing for some time at what became known as Delany's Ferry, they removed to Union County, and their spent the rest of their days. He was graduated at Lexington, Ky, and after practicing his profession for some time at Salem, Ky., he went back to Morganfield and there died in 1831 at the age of forty-four years. He became a minister of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and was instrumental in establishing a college of that denomination in Princeton, Ky. He was a very prominent church worker, and the last years of his life were devoted to ministerial labors in Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois. Delany College, Indiana, was named in his honor. His wife was Miss Rhoda Prince, whose father came to Kentucky from Georgia, and for him the town of Princeton, Ky., was named. Mrs. Delany died in 1861, the mother of nine children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the eighth, all of whom were educated at Princeton, and from Cumberland College, located there. The subject of this sketch graduated in 1847, after which he was appointed Professor of Greek and Latin in his alma mater, continuing as such until 1853, when he went to Memphis, Tenn., where he remained until April, 1860, when he came to Texas and commenced the practice of law in Colorado County. He served for several years as District Attorney. He was afterward appointed a member of the Commission of Appeals, a position he held from 1881 to 1885 with Judge B. S. Walker and Judge A. T. Watts. In 1874 he had been elected to the State Legislature, and was Chairman on the Committee on Finance. In 1850 Miss Gabriella Shropshire, of Bourbon County, Kentucky, became his wife. She died in 1861, having become the mother of five children, all daughters, and all living. In 1863 Mrs. Carrie (Tait) Shropshire, widow of Major John T. Shropshire, who was killed at the battle of Glorietta, became his second wife. Her father was a wealthy Alabamian, and gave each of his eight children 100 slaves. To Judge Delany's second union two sons were given. Judge Delany owns large bodies of land in Wharton and other counties, and during all his active professional life he has given considerable attention to planting interests and stock-raising. The judge is a member of the Episcopal Church, is a Royal Arch Mason and was a member of the Grand Chapter in Kentucky. His life has been a useful one, and as a result he has many friends throughout the State.
HARRIS T. GREEN. - The great natural resouces of Fayette County, Texas, have been developed by the practical and intelligent toil of such men as Harris T. Green, who is recognized as a man full of spirit and business enterprise. He is an old settler of this section and one of its leaders in agriculture. Born in Mississippi in 1849, he is the son of Jesse and Mary (Spencer) Green, natives of Alabama. This worthy couple came with their parents to Mississippi at an early date, and there celebrated their nuptials. In 18050 Mr. Green moved to Texas, and the first year rented land in Washington County, near the town of Brenham. Later he purchased the Black Jack Springs and the land surrounding it for some distance, and soon after erected a horse gin. There he resided until 1855, when he purchased six hundred acres where his son now resides, and there died the same year. His wife, with the assistance of her sons, improved the place. Mr. Green served his township as Justice of the Peace while residing at Black Jack Springs, and was a man whose industry and perseverance, as well as his honesty and uprightness, won the respect and esteem of all. He left five children as follows: William W., (deceased), Jesse C. (deceased), Harris T., James A., of Karnes County, where he follows farming, and Sarah J., wife of George M. Williams. Mrs. Green was married in 1857 or '58 to John S. Black, and they resided in this county until her death, which occurred April 1, 1874, leaving by her second marriage one child, Frances E., wife of Louis 0. Potter, of Temple, Texas. Harris T. Green was educated in this county, in the common schools, and in Baylor University, Independence, Washington County, Texas, where he remained two years, and during the last year assisted in the schools there, having a class in English grammar and arithmetic. When twenty-three years of age lie left that place and returned home, where he at once engaged in farming and stock-raising, meeting with more than usual success. At the present time he is the owner of seven hundred acres of fine land, a good. rural residence and sufficient outhouses. He is a genial, pleasant man to meet and has many friends in his section. In carrying on his farming interests be does not lose sight of the stock-raising industry, and has a nice herd of Jersey cattle. Mr. Green was married first on Dec. 18, 1873, to Miss Mary M. Black, daughter of J. S. Black (stepfather to our subject), and a native of this county. Mrs. Green, who was born Dec. 6, 1850, died Sept. 1, 1883, when thirty-three years of age. She was a member of the Baptist Church, and a most estimable lady. Three children were born to this union: Jessie T., born Oct. 12, 1874, Annie A. (deceased), born July 28, 1878, and Milton A., born Sept, 21, 1881. In 1884 Mr. Green married Miss Mary E. Morrow, a native of this county and daughter of James and Mary V. (Armstrong) Morrow, natives of Alabama, who came from Mississippi to this State at an early date, and were married here about 1852 or '53. Mr. Morrow, came to Texas and settled on the Navadad, in this county, when Indians and wild game abounded. He was one of the Indian fighters. of his day and bad many narrow escapes from them. He made a trip to California overland during the gold fever, and was of an adventuresome spirit. Mr. Morrow was twice married, his first union resulting in the birth of one child, William, who is now deceased. By the mother of Mrs. Green he became the father of six children: Frances S., wife of W. J. Black, resides in Colorado County, Texas; James I. A., resides in this State, Martin A., of Reynolds County; J. T., deceased; Mary E., wife of subject, and Carrie, deceased. Mr. Morrow died in 1865. Mrs. Morrow afterwards married August Koltermanu, and had two children, Frederick W. and August. To Mr. and Mrs. Green were born six children: Sallie E. and Fannie V. (twins) were born Dec. 2, 1884; II. T., born June 24, 1886; James M., born Nov. 19, 1887; Lee M., born Nov. 11, 1891, and Ruth, born August 22, 1893. Mrs. Green was born March 2, 1861. The first year Mr. Green, father of subject, resided in the neighborhood he lived in a log house, and died there the same year, his wife improving the plantation. Books were very scarce in those clays, and "reading, 'ritiug and 'rithmetic" were the only branches taught for many years, and then grammar was introduced. In 1860 a splendid school building was erected, close to Mrs. Green's residence. Here the boys of the surrounding country received most of their education thereafter.
JOHN A. HALL: The business in which John A. Hall is engaged is one of the utmost importance in any community, and especially in a growing community, for his product enters more or less-into the construction of all buildings, and is consequently in constant demand. He owns an extensive lumber yard at Weimar, and ever since embarking in the business here he has commanded a paying patronage. He was born in Logan County, Ky., in 1844, and is a son of Alexander Hall, who lived and died on Blue Grass soil. He was a farmer by occupation, and was also quite extensively engaged in trading, and, after an active life, died when the subject of this sketch was but a small child. His widow, who was formerly Miss Jennie Gibson, afterwards married Robert P. Harrison, whom she accompanied to Texas, and after one year's residence in Washington County they lived for a time in Fayette County, and finally settled in Colorado County. In Fayette and Colorado counties the subject of this sketch grew up, and he acquired a practical education in the neighboring common schools. Early in 1862 he joined Wall's Legion, Col. Willis' Regiment, with which he participated in many battles, but during the last two years of the war he was with Gen. Forrest's Tennessee Cavalry, and was fighting all the time. His command surrendered in Mississippi, but Mr. Hall was at home on furlough at that time. During his entire service he was never wounded or taken prisoner, but had two horses killed under him and numerous bullets passed through his clothes, but left him unharmed. After the cessation of hostilities he turned his attention to the peaceful pursuit of farming, but has since been connected with various kinds of enterprises, and for a number of years was a salesman in the lumber yards of W. B. McCormick. In 1883 he came to Weimar and established himself in business, but also had a yard at Waelder, in Gonzales County, and did a successful business at both places, being associated with another gentleman. Since the death of his partner in 18)O, he has been engaged in business on his own responsibility, and has succeeded remarkably well. At the close of the war he was absolutely penniless, and the first dollar he ever made was in buying sugar, which he traded for wheat at Waco, and ground into flour, which he sold. He has also dealt quite heavily in stock, and made one trip to Kansas, and he has also been quite an extensive dealer in cotton. He has always been suite enterprising and pushing, and is in every sense of the word a self-made man, who would make his way, no matter where his lot might be cast. In 1872 he was married to Miss Sallie Gafford, who was born in Mississippi, arid died in 1875. His second marriage took place in 1882, to Miss Annie, the daughter of W. B. McCormick, and they have one daughter living. Mr. Hall is a member of the Methodist Church, in which he is trustee and steward, and socially he belongs to the A. F. & A. M., the I. 0. 0. F. and the A. 0. U. W.
JAMES A. HARBERT. This gentleman has been successfully engaged in merchandising and planting at Eagle Lake, Texas, since 1866, but owes his nativity to Madison County, Tennessee, where he was born in 1839. His father, William Harbert, cane from Tennessee to this State in 1855, and located in Columbus, where he was called from life during the last year of the war in Clinton, Texas, while on his way home from Mexico, at which time be was eighty years of age, or more. He was quite successful as a planter and merchant, and he and his brother John accumulated fortunes valued at a million dollars, but lost very heavily during the war, as a great deal of their money was in slaves. His mercantile establishment was located at Denmark, Term. It is supposed that he was a soldier of the War of 1812. He was married to Elizabeth Waddell, whose death occurred prior to his own, and both were worthy church members. He was a Democrat in his political views. Of a family of eight children born to them, the subject of this sketch was the fifth in order of birth, and but four are living at the present time. The school days of James A. Harbert were spent in Independence, Texas, at Baylor University, of which Dr. Burleson was the bead, but he completed his education in 1859, after which he assisted his father, and was with his uncle Stephen in the store at Columbus up to 1861, when he joined Bates' Regiment, after which lie was transferred to Brown's Regiment, in which be served until the close of the war, being stationed on the coast all the time, a portion of time at Galveston and other points on the coast. In 1866 he began working on the farm near Columbus, and remained there until the latter part of that year when lie came to the farm of 500 acres near Eagle Lake, where his home continued to be up to 1881. Since that time he has resided in Eagle Lake and was associated in business with Capt. William Dunovant until 1890, but since that time he has carried on his affairs alone. His business operations have met with success, and he has enough of this world's goods to keep him from hard labor. In 1868 he was married to Olivia Putney, who was born in Hardeman County, Tennessee, and died January 2, 1891, without issue. She was an earnest member of the Methodist Church, of which Mr. Harbert is also a member, and politically he is a Democrat.
ROBERT HENRY HARRISON, M. D. The inscription on the old Grecian temples, "know thyself," is written in the hearts of men of this generation, who devote their lives to the healing of the sick and the prevention of disease. So earnestly, so persistently and so scientifically have they imparted their knowledge each to the other, that it now really seems as though the power of life and death were in the hands of the live and progressive physicians of today. Their operations in surgery, their discovery of inoculation for the prevention of certain maladies and their general success in practice, combine to give to the profession the distinction of "greatest among he great." In the number of those who have labored patiently and earnestly for this knowledge is Dr. B. H. Harrison, of Columbus, Texas, whose life is a record of steady seeking after that which would give him power over the enemy of the physical man. He was born in Gainesville, Ga., November 13, 1826, a son of Jesse and Margaret (Hulce) Harrison, the former of whom was born in Fairfax, Va. The mother is living with her son Dr. Harrison in Columbus, Texas, and has reached the advanced age of eighty-seven years. Her father was an officer in the War of 1812, and was a participant in the famous battle of Horseshoe Bend: Jesse Harrison was a son of Robert Harrison, who was an American soldier of the Revolution and was a second cousin of General Harrison of Virginia. The first of the Harrisons to go to Virginia was a seafaring mall, and from first to last the family have been great lovers of liberty. Jesse Harrison in his younger days was a planter, and upon his removal from his native State to South Carolina he followed that occupation. He was married in the Palmetto State, but this wife lived only long enough to bear him two children: Isaac and Mary. After her death he wedded Miss Hulce and moved to Gainesville, Ga., where he gave his attention to gold mining for some time. He then began studying medicine in Columbus, Ohio, and after having attended medical lectures at Philadelphia, Penn., he began practicing the profession at Saundersville, Tenn., a small place nr Gallatin, and later pursued this calling at Clarksville, Nashville and Troy, and was living in the latter place at the time of his death in 1855, at the age of sixty-seven years. He was a Calhoun Democrat, and was always an active politician. His wife was born in Georgia, and ever since 1842, has been a worthy and consistent member of the Baptist Church. She became the mother of eight children: Dr. R. H., Dr. John B. of Union City, Tenn.; Margaret is the deceased wife of Walter McDaniel of Columbus; Van Houton is a physician of Clarkston, Mo.; Nancy is the wife of Frederick Fleming of Cameron, Texas; Betty P. is the wife of Robert T. Bond of Union City, Tenn.; Jesse J. is the District Clerk of Colorado County, Texas, and Tennessee who died young. Dr. Harrison attended the schools of Clarksville, Tenn., and the John Tyler High School in Kentucky, but near Clarkeville, Tenn., and bore off the honors of his class at the age of seventeen. He at once commenced the study of medicine, and took advantage of a private hospital of which his father was the head in Nashville, during his preparation for this profession. He then entered the Physio Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, from which he later graduated, then entered the Medical Department of the University of Alabama at Mobile, from which he was also graduated, and still later finished the medical course in the Medical College at Cincinnati at the age of twenty. He then commenced the active practice of his profession in partnership with his father at Troy, with whom he was connected from 1846 to 1850, and for three years thereafter he practiced in Clarksville. He then went to Memphis, Tenn., and in addition to practicing his profession, he became an instructor in the Reformed Medical College of that city, as Professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics. After remaining there three years he went to Holly Springs, Miss., and after spending a like time there bought property in Shelby County, Tennessee, and retired from the practice of his profession to a certain extent, opened a mill and engaged in the mercantile business, at the same time giving some attention to planting. He was in Shelby County at the opening of the great Civil War and there organized a heavy artillery company. for duty at Fort Pillow, which he commanded, and which, immediately after the battle of Shiloh, was attached to the Ninth Tennessee Infantry, and became the color bearing company, or Company E. He was Captain of his company, and at the battle of Perryville, his company went in forty men strong and in fifteen minutes only fifteen men were left to tell the tale, and of his regiment Dr. Harrison was ranking officer, all the others having been killed. He was recommended for promotion and was in the battle of Murfreesboro, and was then ordered by Gen. J. E. Johnston to report to General Pemberton at Vicksburg, and took command of a company of conscripts, which he was to recruit. He was taken prisoner in Shelby County while on this duty, and was first taken to Columbus, Ky., thence to Alton, Ill., and finally to Johnson's Island, and after twenty-one months of imprisonment was sent to Richmond; Va., where he was exchanged. He had been promoted to Colonel of cavalry, and was ordered by Secretary of War Breckinridge to report to General Forrest, then in Mississippi, for duty, but never reached that command. He was placed in command, instead, of a reserve brigade at Montgomery, Ala., and then returned to Columbus, Ga., where he, with 2,000 men, fought with great credit 20,000 of the enemy. This was the last battle of the Confederacy east of the Mississippi River, after which he went to Macon, Ga., and was paroled. He was never wounded but once during his long, hard service, and that was but slightly by a spent ball at Perryville. he was in the service from April, 1861 until June, 1865, at which time he returned to his home at Harrison's Mills, named in his honor, but during the time that he was in prison, his mill and other property including a very fine library and a large amount of excellent stock were destroyed. During the war he had sent his officer's pay to a non-combatant relative in Mississippi who had invested it in cotton, and he at once went to that State and located on the V. S. P. R. R. in Newton County, there engaged in the mercantile business and became quite an extensive dealer and trader in cotton. He was quite successful, and during this time he purchased a steamboat and cleaned out the Pearl River to Jackson, Miss., and then, on account of a railroad bridge, could get no further. He had intended going as high as Carthage, with the intention of carrying supplies and cotton. He sued the railroad on account of the bridge, but was defeated in the suit and lost heavily in other respects. In 1869 he came to Columbus, Texas, and once more turned his attention to the practice of medicine, and in 1874-5-6 was Chairman of the editing committee of the State Medical Association. In 1877 he became President of the State Association, and he is justly proud of his record in this respect, as the association grew and became, under his administration, a magnificent institution. In 1680 he organized a Medical and Surgical service for the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad, with a hospital at Columbus, and he was placed in charge and had control of the same until 1887. During these seven years the railroad became a part of the Southern Pacific road, and the Sabine Pass and Eastern Texas Railroad were added to it and extended to El Paso, in all 1,240 miles. Dr. Harrison had charge of this entire road, and while discharging his duties treated 11,657 patients, with a mortality of 35. No hospital in America can show a better record, and he has just reason to be proud of his success. The doctor has always been a stanch Democrat, and socially is a member of the K. of H. and the K. and L. of H., besides the I. O. O. F., in which he has been the presiding officer of his lodge, and he is an active and influential member of the District and County Medical Societies. On the 5th day of May, 1855, he was married to Martha V. Towell of Covington, Tipton County, Tenn., and by her has six children: Martha V., wife of E. J Sandmeyer, cashier and attorney of the Stafford Bank of Columbus; R. H, jr., a graduate of the Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, and is practicing his profession with his father; Helen, wife of R. T. Knox, M. D., of Hallettsville, Texas; Marie, wife of Wilson Littlefield, a local agent on the S. P. R. R. at Columbus; Mary and John W., at home. Dr. Harrison is a well preserved man of sixty-eight years, is active and public spirited, and it may with truth be said that very few medical practitioners have met with greater success.
GEORGE HERDER. Of all the many men that Germany has given to the United States, and their name is legion, no one has proven a more substantial, law abiding and public spirited citizen than George Herder. He was born in Oldenburg in 1818, was educated in the land that gave him birth, but being of a pushing and ambitious disposition, he determined to woo the fickle goddess, Fortune, in the New World, and accordingly, in 1834, came to the United States on a sailing vessel, landing in the city of Galveston. He at once took up his residence in the vicinity of Frelsburg, but in 1858 moved to High Hill, Fayette County, where he continued to reside until 1884, when he moved to Shiner, Lavaca County, and died three years later at Schulenburg, while there on a visit. While living in his native land he was successfully engaged in tilling the soil, and after coming to this country he continued to follow this occupation for some time, then engaged in the mercantile business at High Hill, and during the few years he remained in the business he succeeded admirably. In course of time he led to the altar Miss Minna Wolters, who was born in the old country, and was called from life in Texas in 1878. Mr. Herder was a soldier in the Texas Rebellion, and was a participant in the famous battle of San Jacinto, and was later a participant in the Mexican War, but during his service was not out of the State. He was a man of more than ordinary business capacity, upright and honorable in every worthy particular, and numbered his friends by the score. To himself and wife twelve children were born, eight of whom are still living, and are -residents of Fayette, Lavaca and Colorado counties. George Herder, the youngest of these children, was born in 1863, and spent his school days at High Hill. When a lad of sixteen he entered the general mercantile establishment of Russek, at Schulenburg, with whom he remained one year, following which he was with Heyer Bros. one year, and in 1882 commenced business for himself and on his own responsibility, but in a very humble manner. He commenced with a small general line of goods, but has increased his stock from time to time, as his means permitted and the demands of his patrons increased. He has built up a surprisingly large business by his energy, foresight and desire to please, and of those who have been in business as long as he has is one of but three merchants in that place who has not failed. He has handled 35,000 or 40,000 bales of cotton, and in this, as in his mercantile business, his trade has covered a wide territory. In 1885 he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Hefner, of Weimar, and they are worthy members of the Christian Church, while socially be is a member of the K. of P. and the A. 0. II. W. Politically he, as well as his father before him, is a stanch Democrat, believing in no high tariff, nor in an unsound dollar.
J. J. HOLLOWAY, the subject of this sketch, was born December 11, 1837, in Person County, North Carolina. He being the oldest child born to the marriage of John A. Holloway of Person County, North Carolina, and Mary A. Bass, of Halifax County, Virginia. In 1844 his father, John A. Holloway, represented Person County, in the State Legislature, on the same ticket with James K. Polk, who ran for President. In 1845 his father and family, consisting of wife, four children, and nine negroes landed at Houston, Texas, in the month of April, whence they were conveyed on ox wagons to the town of LaGrange, Fayette County, and soon thereafter located on a farm eight miles below LaGrange, on the Colorado River, where his father died; in June, 1846. His mother then removed to Rutersville, and in 1847 married P. J. Shaver, who soon after located the town of Fayetteville in the year 1848. Our subject remained, at Fayetteville with his step-father and family until 1860, being absent ten months at school in 1859, under the tutorage of Prof. Wm. Halsey at Chappell Hill and Rufus C. Burleson, at Independence, Mo., known as Baylor University. In 1860 he visited relatives in Virginia and returning in 1861, joined the Confederate army as volunteer in the first company from Fayette County. Having served six months in Capt. Ben Shropshire's Company, Nichols Regiment, he again volunteered in Waul's Legion, Willis' Battalion of Cavalry, and on the 2d day of September, 1862, crossed the Mississippi River at Vicksburg, after which time, in Company D. Willis' Battalion, he fought under Gen. Chalmers, Gen. Van Dorn, Gen. S. D. Lee and Gen. Bedford F9rrest. In April, after the close of the war, he returned to his home in Fayette County, Texas, and worked on the farm and labored as a wagoner on the road, hauling cotton and pine lumber, until February 8, 1866, at which time he was married to Lizzie A. Nicholson, in the town of La Grange. In the fall of 1866 he engaged in the general merchandise business with his father-in-law, James Nicholson, under the firm name of Nicholson & Holloway. In 1867 his partner died in La Grange of yellow fever, and in 1868 he formed a co-partnership with John A. Trousdale, under the firm name of Trousdale & Holloway, and remained with him until after the disastrous overflow of the Colorado River in 1869. After settling his affairs in LaGrange, he removed to his farm in Fayette County, in the year 1871, and remained there until the extension of the G. H. & S. A. Ft. R., and in 1873 removed to Weimar, in Colorado County, Texas, it then being the terminus of the railroad. In 1873 he built the first business house in Weimar, and for twelve years was a partner with T. A. Hill, under the firm name of Hill & Halloway; engaged in wholesale and retail groceries, commission, and forwarding business in connection with banking: In 1885 the firm of Hill & Holloway was dissolved by mutual consent, and J. J. Holloway, with his son, J. B. Holloway, as cashier, opened a private bank and general grocery business. In 1893 J. J. Holloway retired from the banking business and turned over the grocery business to his son, J. B. Holloway, and son-in-law, S. P. Smith, who married his eldest daughter, C. A. Holloway, and they are now engaged in the wholesale and retail grocery business. Many cities of larger pretensions than Weimar might be proud of their trade, which amounts to from $60,000 to $75,000 per annum. The style of their firm is Holloway & Smith. Mr. Holloway has, by his wife, six children, four boys and two girls, all living and in fine health. They have three grandchildren, two by his son and one by his daughter, Mrs. C. A. Smith. His mother, Mary A. Shaver, at the ripe age of seventy-five years is still living at this place, surrounded by her children and grandchildren, and bids fair to be with them for many years yet. The subject of this sketch having been for nearly twenty-five years in business, and having had some hard times to contend with, can say truthfully that he has never paid a debt with less than 100 cents to the dollar. He has been very successful as a business man, and says his success he attributes to energy, perseverance and close attention to business. Coupled with courtesy, his manner is distinguished by kindness, charity, and a kind regard and respect for his fellow man. Mr. Holloway has always been in the lead in all enterprises calculated to build up a town and forward the happiness and prosperity of the people. Though he will soon be fifty-seven years old he can tell a joke and enjoy a laugh with the boys as if he was himself a youngster of eighteen years. May he live long and prosper.
ROBERT W. KOLLMANN. It is almost invariably the case that reliable, intelligent and capable men are chosen to fill responsible official positions, and the case of Robert W. Kollmann, who is the Clerk of Colorado County, is no exception to this rule. He was born in this county, February 13, 1864, and has resided here all his life, therefore the people have had every opportunity to judge of his character and qualifications, and nothing but words of praise have been bestowed upon him. His education was obtained in Herman Seminary, where he pursued his studies until 1879 or 1880, when he went to Galveston, and worked for the firm of J. P. Lalor & Co., for a few months, at the end of which time he went to Houston, where he spent two years. He then located in Weimar, and embarked in business with Thomas Fisher, but after a time Mr. Fisher withdrew, and Mr. Kollmann then conducted his establishment alone until he was elected to the office of County Clerk in 1892, which is the only public position lie has ever held, and to which he was elected on the Republican ticket, notwithstanding the fact that he had three opponents, and polled as many votes as the other three put together. He is an intelligent young man, energetic and pushing, and counts his friends by the score, a fact which is in direct refutation of the old saw that "a man is not without honor save in his own country." He is of a genial disposition, and socially he is a member of the K. of P. He was married in 1885.
JOSEPH JEFFERSON MANSFIELD. The various county attorneys of Colorado County, Texas, have always been noted for their character and ability, and one of the most popular of the many worthy men who have filled this position is Joseph Jefferson Mansfield, who is a lawyer of far more than ordinary ability, a thorough student of his profession, and being an excellent judge of human nature, is admirably fitted for the office he is filling. He is a product of Wayne County, West Virginia, where his eyes first opened on the 9th of February, 1861, his parents being Joseph J., and Amanda (Smith) Mansfield, his mother, a native of Chesterfield County, Virginia, and his father of Bedford County. He was an exceptionally well educated man for his days, and was a graduate of Virginia College, and afterwards became a very successful legal practitioner, and ably filled the office of Commonwealth's Attorney. He at one time made the race for Congress, but was defeated, but the simple fact that he ran for the office shows that he was a man of more than ordinary ability. He was a Colonel in the State Militia, and at the opening of the great struggle between the North and South he entered the Confederate service with that rank and was killed early in 1861 while trying to reach his home, where he was going with the intention of raising a brigade. After his death his widow married Dr. H. Walker, and is yet living in West Virginia. The immediate subject of this sketch grew to manhood in the county that gave him birth, and took one course at Bethany College, Wheeling, W.Va., and attended the high school afterward. In 1881 he came to Texas, and worked at the fruit tree business for some time, then up to 1885 clerked in a railroad office at Rosenberg. He then decided to make the law his profession, and began his studies at Alleyton, and in the latter part of the same year was admitted to the bar. He at once entered upon the practice of his profession at Alleyton, then Eagle Lake, and finally came to Columbus, where his legal ability received almost immediate recognition, and he at once entered upon a successful practice. While a resident of Eagle Lake he held the position of Mayor, and there received his nomination for County Judge, but was defeated by Judge Riley. In 1892 he was elected to the office of County Attorney, and at this election had no opponent. He was married in Eagle Lake to Miss Anna Scott Bruce, a daughter of Dr. J. S. Bruce, of a fine old Virginia family. Mr. Mansfield is a member of the K. of P., the A. 0. U. W., and is a prominent Mason, having represented his lodge in the Grand Lodge of the state a number of times, and now and for four years has held the office of District Deputy Grand Master. In politics he has always been a Democrat, and on two different occasions he has held the office of Notary Public. He has been Lieutenant of two military companies and Captain of one. He is a useful citizen of the county, and has many friends throughout this section.
JOHN MATTHEWS. This prominent and successful cotton-raiser is part owner and manager of a large plantation on the Colorado River, six miles below Eagle Lake, belonging to his father's estate, where he has devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits ever since 1871. He was born in Henrico County, Virginia in 1852, a son of Nathaniel Matthews, who also devoted his attention to planting throughout life, and owned large interests in Texas, where he came annually to spend the winter. He was born April 2, 1809 and died November 2, 1877, at the age of sixty-eight years. A brother of his, John Matthews, settled in Jackson County as early as 1828, where he went with some fifty slaves, established a cotton plantation on Mustang Creek, but not meeting with success in the farming operations on account of extreme drouths and consequent failures in crops, he abandoned the farm and moved over on the Colorado River, where he bought a half league of land and developed the present plantation, and farmed with great success until 1861 when, failing in health, he retired from business, deeding his brother, Nathaniel Matthews, his vast estates and returning to Virginia, where he died the latter part of the same year at his brother's home. The school days of the subject of this sketch were spent in Virginia, and in 1871 he graduated from the Virginia Military Institute, after which he at once came to Texas, and has ever since had charge of the plantation. This estate consists of half a league of land, situated on the Colorado River and the soil of the same is as fertile as any in the State, being of a rich alluvial nature, and the annual agricultural yield is enormous. He also owns some sugar interests, is wideawake, pushing and energetic, and he raises from 500 to 600 bales of cotton annually. Besides giving much of his time and attention to these occupations, he is also the manager and part owner of an excellent mercantile establishment, which brings him in a good sum annually, for it is liberally patronized. Mr. Matthews possesses excellent business qualifications, is shrewd, practical and far-seeing, has made a success of all his undertakings, but has never deeply interested himself in politics and is not a member of any secret order. A younger brother, Luke Matthews, has been associated with him in business ever since coming to the State in 1878. He also graduated from the University of Virginia, afterwards studied law and for some time after coming to the Lone Star State practiced his profession in Taylor County, but for some time past has been successfully engaged in tilling the soil and in mercantile pursuits.
HENRY W. ONCKEN. This substantial, enterprising and useful citizen was born in the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg, Germany, March 27, 1835, to Gerhard and Helen (Bolleuhagen) Oucken, both of whom were also born in Oldenburg, Germany, where both were called from life. The father was quite a successful farmer, and he was, as were all the members of his family, an educated and influential citizen and a worthy member of the Lutheran Church. One of his brothers was a Supreme Judge in the old country, and died in 1865, when sixty-five years of age. The immediate subject of this sketch was one of a large family, and was given good educational advantages, which he wisely improved. When eighteen years of age he determined to seek his fortune in the new world, and after a voyage of several weeks he landed in the city of New Orleans. After a time he came by water to Galveston, thence to Houston by ox team, and from their[sic] to Frelsburg. He had considerable means upon his arrival here. He came thither with a number of young men from the same neighborhood in Germany as himself, nearly, if not quite, all of whom have become substantial citizens. Mr. Oncken at once began working for other people, but at the end of six months went to Roos[sic] Prairie, and for a short time was in the employ of Gen. Baylor, after which he went to Columbus, and there was sick with the cholera for some time. He had commenced farming for himself in Fayette County, seven miles south of La Grange, and on the 15th of January, 1861, was married to Miss Knipscher, who, like himself, was born in Germany. Her people came to Texas when she was a child, and here made a comfortable home. She died about 1883, having become the mother of two sons and two daughters. For his second wife Mr. Oncken was married January 7, 1886, to Mrs. Steinbonner, who has borne him two sons and a daughter. In the summer of 1863 he joined the Second Texas Infantry, Company C, stationed at Galveston, and was there when the war closed. Before entering active service he had been hauling cotton to Mexico for the Confederate Government, and in 1862 he came to near Weimar and bought 1,120 acres of land, of which he has since sold 470 acres of prairie and 220 acres of timber land. He has been very successful in his agricultural operations, and has also been quite prominently connected with public affairs, and during the thirty-three years that he has resided in this place he has held a number of positions of honor and trust. For a great portion of this time there was no such town as Weimar, and he can now look from his post office and see quite a thriving and populous place. He has given valuable aid to the building up of the town, and is considered one of the leading citizens. He is a member of the Lutheran Church, is a Democrat in politics, and socially is a member of the A. 0. U W.
MAJOR JOHN S.SHROPSHIRE. Although he whose name heads this sketch has long since passed to that bourne whence no traveler returns, he still lives in the hearts of the many who knew and loved him in life. A Native Kentuckian, He came to Texas prior to the opening of the late Civil War, and located in Colorado County, where he at once entered upon the practice of law, for which he had a decided taste, and in which he was remarkably successful. He was a man of more than ordinary talent, was finely educated, and had not death closed his career at an untimely-age, would without doubt have made a name for himself in the profession. Being an enthusiastic Southerner, he joined the Confederate forces at the opening of the Civil War, became a member of Sibley's Brigade, Green's Regiment, and was killed in the battle at Glorietta, in New Mexico, in 1862, at which time he was Major of his regiment, and had the name of being a fearless and intrepid soldier. After his death his widow married Judge W. S. Delany, whose sketch appears in another part of this volume. The son of Major John and Mrs. Shropshire, C. T. Shropshire, was born in Colorado County, Texas, in 1861, grew up here and while growing up he obtained a good education in the schools of Columbus. When but a lad he commenced farming in this county, at the same time engaged in the stock business, and to the latter occupation his attention has been devoted almost exclusively for the last eleven years, and he is regarded as one of the most extensive stockmen of this section. His judgment is excellent, and as he is of an energetic and ambitious disposition, his operations have prospered. Mr. Shropshire had the exclusive management of Judge Delany's ranch in Wharton County for a number of years, and it was his home, but recently he returned to Columbus, where he is at present. He was married on the 29th of November, 1893, to Miss Nellie Hahn, of this place, a daughter of Christian Hahn, and they have a comfortable and pleasant home, where they dispense a generous, yet by no means ostentatious, hospitality to their many friends. Mr. Shropshire is a Democrat politically, and socially belongs to the Knights of Pythias.
Return to Colorado County Biographies