Colorado County Biographies
Do you have biographies you would like to share?
Death of Dr. John H. Bowers
(Houston Post Special.)
Columbus, Sept. 4--Dr. J. H. Bowers, who would have been ninety years of age November 6, next, died at 6:05 this evening. He has been a useful citizen, a scholarly man and his life has been one of good deeds and a benefit to the community. The funeral arrangements have not been made.
Doctor John Henry Bowers was born in Alsace November 6, 1817, when that district was a part of the imperial territory of Reichland, a province of France. His parents lived prosperously near the town at Colmar. He had a private tutor at the age of seven and later attended the University at Muhlhausen, where he first studied medicine. While a cadet at Muhlhausen his corps was appointed to attend the funeral of Marquis de Lafayette In September, 1834. When eighteen years of age he left France, visiting China and India. He had experience In the treatment of Asiatic cholera in India and at Surat he was presented by an English major with a chest of medicines for the treatment of that malady, which he later used with signal success during an epidemic of that disease in Texas in 1851.
He reached New 'York In January, 1836, and shortly after came by boat to Galveston. He was on his way to San Jacinto from Columbia to join General Sam Houston when the battle of San Jacinto was being fought. He attended professionally most of the prominent early Texans, including the second Mrs. Sam Houston. While they were prisoners he became acquainted with General Santa Anna and Colonel Almonte. Many years later he received an invitation to visit General Santa Anna at the Hacienda Corona on the Viga in the City of Mexico. He often mentioned as his early personal friends Surgeon General Ewing, Mirabeau B. Lamar, Edward Burleson, Colonel Sidney Sherman, Torn Green, 'T. M. Hardeman, Simon Bostick, Aaron Burleson, John M. SwIsher, Deaf Smith, Sterling Robinson, M. A. Bryant, Judge "Three-Legged Willie" Williamson and many others who were prominent in early Texas history.
In early days he made several trips from Galveston to Brownsville horseback, alone, when the country had many Indians and there were overflowed streams, a mile or more in width, to ford. He lived in Texas under four flags and underwent the many hardships of the early pioneers. He has practiced medicine in Galveston, Houston, Brownsville and Columbus. He has lived in Colorado county since 1851.
At his home here is a clock that was made for George Washington when he was president of the United States. General Washington had two of these clocks made in Philadelphia, identical in every respect, one of which is now at Mount Vernon. The one here was presented by George Washington to his brother Lawrence Washington. It descended in the family to Dr, Lawrence Washington, nephew of the former Lawrence Washington Fountaine of Galveston. It is about eight feet in height, made of walnut. It is wound once a week, has a monthly calendar and gives the phases of the moon. It is in perfect running order and has been out of repair only a few times since the eighteenth century. Dr. Lawrence Washington moved to Colorado county some time in the forties and decided in 1867 to remove to Arkansas. He could not haul the clock such a distance in a wagon, so gave it to his dear friend, Dr. Bowers.
Dr. Bowers was married in 1857 in Columbus to Miss Annie F. Griffiths, who survives him. His surviving children are: Mrs. W. L. Adkins of Columbus, Mrs. B. L. Vineyard of Houston, and Dr. Harry R. Bowers of Columbus
The funeral took place at 5 o'clock today and the following acted as pallbearers:
Honorary--Drs. Bat Smith, T. Heriff, J. E. Thompson, Joseph Mullin. J. S. Bruce, F. 0. Norris, J. K. Davidson, J. F. Hutchins, R. H. Harrison, James Byars, H. L. Rugely and A. S, McDaniel.
Active--J. E. Hester, W. E. Bridge, 0. A. Zumwalt, A. A. Gregory, L. O. Shaw, H. R. Byars and J, R. Wooten.
Rev. Mr. Morgan of Eagle Lake conducted the religious exercises.
The immense procession which today followed the remains of Dr. Bowers to their last resting place was a most magnificent tribute to the memory and testifying to the love and affection with which he was regarded by those whose family physician he had been for the past half century, as well as to the younger generation, who have known and worshiped him from their earliest childhood.
Long before the hour set for the funeral to begin all business houses In Columbus were cIosed, and when the immense Washington clock in the family residence struck 5 the religious ceremonies were commenced, which terminated at the beautiful Odd Fellows cemetery.
Friends and relatives were present from many points In the State and the floral tributes were profuse.
Weimar Mercury, September 14, 1907, page 4